[pct-l] High Sierra

I just returned from the Inyo National Forest to the West of Mammoth in the
Ansel Adams Wilderness area.  Hiked into Thousand Island Lake: area of much
discussion and warnings from National Forest Service personnel and many
internet information sites.

IMHO, the problem at Thousand Island Lake, and possibly many other popular
sites, is as following:

People hike to the outlet after climbing about 3,000 feet of elevation, see
the beautiful sight of the lake and Banner Peak and proceed to find the
closest camping site just outside of the restricted zone around the outlet,
regardless of the quality of hanging trees.  The Boy Scouts and several other
parties did this.  They all were plagued with bears regardless of containers.
 None lost their food, however, the bears visited their campsites regularly
and chewed on a few weird things.

Those of us more in tuned to the area, respect for the bears and interest in
finding a suitable counterbalance tree hiked on, even in light of the
complaints from several individuals in my party of eight.  We found a site,
about a mile and a half down the lake, well away from any other party, with
perfect counterbalance tree, beautiful overlook of the lake and mountain and
clearly not previously used in the past several years, at least.  It was
unfortunately, well away from water sources also; a small price to pay.
However, the primary priorities of the site selection were met.  This was not
a site that any bear was accustomed to visiting on a regular basis.

For the most part we were up wind from the other campers, ie.; our
cooking/food smells would be smelled in their area.  Any bear visiting them
could, potentially, work his way upwind to our site.  None did.

We cooked away from our campsite.  Not far, just perpendicular to the primary
wind direction, so that, should a bear follow his nose, he wouldn't end up in
our campsite, but rather adjacent to it.

Some of us used double Major Ursacks counterbalanced with Kevlar cord.  Some
had Garcia's and complained of weight, packing problems, black-heat soaking
color, lack of space, f&*king bureacracy.  Two days later in the week we tied
the Ursacks up to a low tree trunk as Ursack suggests and, unfortunately, did
not get tested.

Another benefit of our remote site is that no rangers visited our camp.  I
didn't see one coming in, going out or while there over five days.

Jeff Zimmerman lives in the forest in Pennsylvania and has black bears visit
his cabin on a regular basis.  Jeff will try out his Ursack there and report
back to the list and manufacturer any results.

I have camped at Thousand Island Lake perhaps 15 times over 28 years and not
had one encounter with a bear, nor lost my food.  However, we/I have always
respected their presence.

FWIW, the view from the top of Banner was great, better than four years ago.
Even a dog summited!

Best regards,

Greg "Strider" Hummel

PS:  I brought my wrist rocket and practiced with rocks.  My two boys sure
had fun with it!

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---