From: AsABat [mailto:wjj2001@yahoo.com]
Sent: Saturday, August 11, 2001 10:08 AM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Long live the Canister!!

At the ranger station in Lone Pine last week I talked to a hiker who was at
Dollar Lake on San Gorgonio a couple weeks before. He said he saw a bear
roll somebody else's bear canister down a hill where it broke open on the
rocks. He also said he later heard that the lid was NOT closed properly and
therefore fell off when hit the bottom.

Interesting that I've heard several similar stories, but never from the
person it actually happened to.

Last year a story at Kearsarge Pass was that bears were sitting on the
canisters to break them open. This story was always third or fourth hand
too.

I've never seen a bear pick up a canister. They swat at them and push them
around, but there's nothing for them to grab. This is why you are NOT
supposed to leave them in a stuff sack or webbing, and NOT tie them to or
hang them from a tree.

AsABat