[pct-l] Be safe or I won't pay for it

Randy,

You bring up some good points.

I know there are some places where "higher" risk people do pay higher
premiums on their insurance.  In those cases, they are already paying for
their consequences.  Young male drivers, for instance, often pay more for
their auto insurance.  In the same vein, low mileage drivers get reduced
rates.

Other activities are already targetted...  Some insurance doesn't cover
expenses as a result of what they consider "dangerous" activities...
Skydiving comes to mind.  Or, you have to pay more for that insurance.  I
suspect the Hollywood stunt crowd probably pays more for their insurance.

If as you suggest, you take this and apply it to all of life's activities,
can you imagine a point value assigned to each of our individual lifestyles?
  Talk about government - blech!

Obviously, many people who choose to not use their helmets or safety belts
do so knowing full well the consequences of their actions to both themselves
and to the general public in terms of financial outlay of taxes and
insurance premiums.  However, most of the people I have had this discussion
with have not fully thought this out.  Most just want to be left alone but
hadn't thought about who really pays when their hospital bills stack up.
It's that ignorance in the face of simple solutions (most cars are equipped
with easy to use seatbelts) that gets me.

I don't know if any of the people I've had this discussion have changed
their habits, but I know I've started the wheels turning in quite a few
people minds.  And a bit of understanding about why other people would care
when they had previously thought it to be a purely personal decision.

Like I said, I don't have all the answers.  I don't think I really have any
of the answers.  But, perhaps I could just supply some food for thought.

Mara - and yes, I'm going to go take a hike - be back Sunday or Monday
:-)