[pct-l] Area closed because of bears!

Are bear canisters required? Is the problem non-compliance or overflow?

Tom

 -----Original Message-----
From: 	Carl Siechert [mailto:csiechert@hotmail.com]
Sent:	Thursday, August 09, 2001 2:19 PM
To:	pct-l@backcountry.net
Subject:	Re: [pct-l] Area closed because of bears!

Dude:

The PCT crossing of Rancheria is several miles (sorry, don't have my topos
here at the office) above Rancheria Falls, so you weren't in the most
bear-infested area, which is now closed to overnight camping. Rancheria
Falls is a very popular destination for 2-4 day trips out of O'Shaughnessy
Dam (Hetch Hetchy Reservoir). Many weekenders are not doing a decent job of
protecting their food, and the bears know it.

Field of Ursines: Feed them, and they will come.

----- Original Message -----
From: "The Dude" <dude@coruscant.net>
To: <wjj2001@yahoo.com>; <pct-l@backcountry.net>
Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2001 1:24 PM
Subject: RE: [pct-l] Area closed because of bears!

> WOW!!!!!  I camped there on sunday night!!!  We wondered why there was no
one there this year.  They didn't say anything when we got our permit (how
could they, since I applied back in March?).   We passed serveral northbound
hikers (we were headed south) who told us that the bears were bad in Cold
Canyon, so we stopped short of Cold Canyon and Camped near Rancheria Creek.
We saw NO bears and NO people.