From: Bill Jeffrey [mailto:wjj2001@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2001 9:56 AM
To: pct-l@backcountry.net
Subject: RE: RE: [pct-l] Closures because of bear activity

> I would certainly fight any fine for using the
> counter-balance method successfully.  How can it be
> improper food storage when it works?

Dude, have you had bears TRY to get your
counterbalanced food, or did stealth camping "work" by
keeping them away? The proof of counterbalancing is
when the bear actually tries to reach the string,
break the branch, and kamikaze dive from above, and
the food remains untouched. Counterbalancing ALWAYS
worked for me, too, UNTIL the bear did the above. Yes,
it was a good, text-book counterbalance, but the bear
must've read a newer version of the text-book.

I also found counterbalancing doesn't work at 12,000
feet. <grin>

Hike your own hike, but I still say counterbalancers
have just been lucky - so far.

AsABat