[pct-l] RE: Not stupid people but smart bears

Joanne-
I have used a bear canister in the most agressive bear backcountry area in
the world for 14 years. I understand bears.

1-If you leave food unattended, even for a miniute, a bear may snatch it. I
have had bears hang outside my campsite and have heard many similer stories.
However, I have never heard of a bear snatching food from an awake humans
hand.  Your spoon should be stirring the pot! That is what I mean about
attended!

2-Always cook and eat before dark. This is standard in the Sierra. The
Sierra requires a cooking cerfew and has been that way since hanging food
was the food protection method. [Try hanging food in the dark] Nobody in
their right mind EVER opens a food locker, bear box, canister or trys to
hang food at night.

3-You MUST NOT leave food in a trailhead car regardless of how far you
travel unless you want to risk the car being trashed.

4-The Tolumne Campground is not where knowledgable people congregate.
Thruhikers, particulary from other states, are relative novices about Sierra
bears. If you lose food to a Sierra bear you will not get it back. Don't
bother chasing the bear. Chasing bears? Cooking food at night?? Your
description of the event indicates to me that these people were not
knowledgable at all.

I agree with you that relocating a garbage bear doesn't work. The bear must
be shot. This is what usually happens. Are you shure it was not?

tom

Frankly this is a silly agrument. If a bear will snatch food from an awake
humans hands, he will certainly invade a tent and take food used as a pillow
by an asleep human.