[pct-l] Will Bear Canisters Work?

Hi Paul,

    Yes, I had a confrontation with a bear back in the 1970's. At Lyell
Base Camp area in Lyell Canyon, Yosemite. We had the food simply hung
and tied off to a tree. Woke up in the morning, bear was up in the tree
and pawing at the branch with our food on it trying to break the branch
off. After a while, bear was still there. So we lowered the food, then
took it with us over to another camp. Bear came down tree and started
towards us. We responded with a volley of rocks. Bear changed mind and
direction; ambled off up the canyon side.

    In another instance, again early 1970's, was leading a trip. We
counterbalanced our food. Bear went up the tree and made a mess of the
tree breaking off many limbs but didn't get our food. Bear left.

    Have also lost food to bears a couple of times when camped where
there was not a good tree limb for hanging food.

John

> I think you are all taking this bear thing to seriously. Most of the people
> that get into trouble with the bears don't take the time to participate in
> discussions such as this. Has anybody on this board ever had a confrontation
> with a bear.

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---