[pct-l] Bear Canister Tactics!

Actually I have been thinking about a slingshot as an adjunct.  a Friend of
mine always takes one and insists that I should have one too.  but I do not
have one and my aim may make one non functional.  Still practicing
intrigues me.  Does anybody out there actually have experience using one to
repell bears, is it "legal".  I note the relevant regulation:
	Possessing or storing any food or refuse unless stored in a bear-proof
container or in another manner designed to keep bears from gaining access
to the food or refuse.  36 CFR 261.58(cc).  ... (

If one had food in a container and guarded it with a slingshot would that
be a "manner designed to keep bears from gaining access to the food or
refuse"

Joanne

> From: Bighummel@aol.com
> To: pct-l@backcountry.net
> Subject: Re: [pct-l] Bear Canister Tactics!
> Date: Thursday, August 02, 2001 8:48 AM
>
> The NFS and NPS has been monitoring this discussion on the PCTL and
decided that, due to severe descension, heavy weight of the bear canisters
and to correct the PROBLEM of lack of people fear in bears, they will now
require only one, light weight, item to be carried and used by all
backpackers into Yosemite, Sequoia, and Kings Cnyn NP and INYO NF: