[pct-l] Delorme Topo USA

--- Paul/Maryann Lockey wrote:
> Has anyone had a problem with the Delorme Topo USA
> version 3.0 topographical map software. I created a
> rout starting at the southern end of the PCT running
> up to Warner Spring. The guide book says the
> distance is 110.6mi the software says 79mi.

I use Topo! and it implies a similar problem. The
problem is that the map can't show every little bend
in the trail, and the route tool doesn't draw small
enough line segments. I usually have to add about 10%
to the route mileage.

In Topo! you can switch to a finer line which makes
the route's line segments shorter as well. This helps
with the mileage accuracy, but greater increases the
time necessary to trace the route.

AsABat