[pct-l] Bear Canister requirement

I know that two years ago a bear canister was required  East of the
Kearsage Pass for any overnight stay.

There has been a lot of intimation that it is required in other parts as
well.

I would like to know where on the PCT it is an actual requirement,( read
you will be fined if lacking one)

I DO NOT WANT TO BE LECTURED ON THE ETHICS OF TRAVELING WITHOUT A BEAR
CANISTER.

How can one possibly use a bear canister for 50 pounds of molasses coated
oats, corn, and barley (cob) used as horse feed?

A friend of mine told me that he planned to put a cache in a bear box two
weeks before planning to use it (he was doing the JMT and wanted to
resupply himself, but did not want to walk out during the actual walk).  I
told him that I did not think that it was legal to cache food using a bear
box.  I discussed the possibilities with him, and informed him that many of
the boxes were full even from the  campers that were using the boxes and
camping in the vicinity.  How could one camp in the area if you arrived and
the box was filled with cached food.?  I have seen the Park Service put
food or supplies for emergencies (?), or for patroling rangers in the bear
boxes, so what  is legal. (please don't tell me about the practical limits
of bear boxes or the ecological unsoundness of the system,  or the leave no
trace program, etc)

I am not trying to start a flame war.  I just want to know what the actual
requirements are.  I am not concerned about what the Park service thinks I
should do, or wishful thinking  about controling all those bad ole
thoughtless folk out that are goin to screw up unless we get more rules.

Joanne