[pct-l] trail maintenance/problem bears

Just back for a day to stir things up a little. The list is getting pretty
dull
   Been on a nine day volunteer trail maintenance trip in the Olympics. Our
crew of 8 cleared six miles and 3500' of Six Ridge Trail which supposedly
hasn't been maintained for 40 years. It looks fine now - at least the first 6
miles to Belvue Camp. And now the 8 of us have volunteer park passes that
exempt us from any and all fees associated with Olympic National Park. Pretty
cool, huh! I got to be a macho chainsaw dude because only two of us were
chain saw certified by ONP. Had the backcountry horsemen lug in our gear for
the 6 mile approach to the trail. Not a drop of rain but cool and cloudy most
days. It's been very cool here this summer with very few highs above 75.
    Someone told me that dogs are being used on problem bears with great
success. They don't hang around someone's camp when dogs are continuallly
harassing them. Gets old quick, I imagine. Of course this could never be an
option in a National Park. Rules are rules and all dogs must be kept on a
leash! Bear baiting by hanging food or leaving it around in a container is
o.k., but you can't sic the dogs on em when a bear decides to check you out
just for the hell of it. Just keep saying, "this too shall pass," instead
   Heard Consumer Reports did a test of hiking boots. Anyone seen the results?

 Now it's off to
Mt Rainier and the Wonderland Trail. And then tons of work! Be back again
someday