From: R.J.Calliger [mailto:calliger@infolane.com]
Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2001 4:26 PM
To: David E. Yashar; pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [pct-l] re: John Muir Trail (JMT) hike (North to South)
beginning on/around August 23

At 1:58 PM -0800 7/29/01, David E. Yashar wrote:
>re:  John Muir Trail (JMT) hike (North to South) beginning on/around August
23

>I am considering hiking the JMT at this time.  I thru-hiked the AT in 1994
>and expect the JMT to take me 24 days ... in a "leisurely" manner.  Is this
>realistic?

Yes- very-- I did -  JMT- 95, PCT- 90,  AT- 85 thru hikes.
One area I will repease again and again is the JMT- however Oregon
is on my list as well.

It is very realistic to do the JMT in 24 days- a lot of folks have done
in it 15 or even a day less...some have run it!

You will run into some rain and hail- not very severe though-
but no matter who tells you what about the weather it has a
mind of its own...I have been in snow and hail at 10000 feet
the past two years- and "drought" before that.

Will a 15 degree down sleeping bag generally be okay for this
>time of year?

IMO, definitely yes. -re weather comments above.

A tarp will work fine but the 'squitoes are  out  this time -some places
relatively heavy- BUT again- that also changes from year to year...

There is historical weather data for the JMT/Sierra area- I cannot find the
link at the moment-- however if you google it I am sure you can find
weather "patterns" your self.

My left ankle is still swollen from an injury LAST JAN!!- otherwise I would
consider
doing it again...I would resupply anywhere on the (see the archives) list
except
at Red's Meadow as they are still charging $25.00 US a box!!! (For many
reasons
I am sure they think are valid <smile>....)

Happy Trails,

Housebound (aka Rich )