[pct-l] re: John Muir Trail (JMT) hike (North to South) beginning on/around August 23

> I am considering hiking the JMT at this time.  I thru-hiked the AT in 1994
> and expect the JMT to take me 24 days ... in a "leisurely" manner.  Is
this
> realistic?

That's longer than most folks allocate these days...which is good. This is
definitely a trail that you'll want to savor, so it's great that you have
that much time. When I hiked the JMT in '73, I think we did 24 days.

> Will a 15 degree down sleeping bag generally be okay for this
> time of year?

Yep.

> Anyone out there looking for a partner?  What type of weather can I expect
> ... any snow?

Snow is possible any time of year. It's unlikely in summer/early fall to be
more than a dusting, but I've seen 3' around Labor Day. Beautiful weather is
probable, but be prepared for worse.

> How late can one reasonably hike without hitting the cold of
> fall?

October is usually terrific: no crowds, generally good weather, even some
fall colors. But the days are short, and the weather can be lousy (just as
it can be in August/September, only more so!).

Enjoy,
Carl