From: Tom Hopkins [mailto:java2@ix.netcom.com]
Sent: Sunday, July 15, 2001 11:22 AM
To: pct-l@backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] ???

Strider  got me thinking about submerging food again as a way to keep
from bears getting it in the Sierra's. I was thinking about trying a
"dry bag" boaters use, but they are actually pretty heavy. With the new
regulations I have to bring my  bear cannister. But, I was thinking
about double sealing a package of food in a vacuum packer and submerging
it at night. Has anyone ever tried this? I am going to be on "bear
alley" in two weeks and I am considering trying it.
Tom