[pct-l] (no subject)

There are very few LD hikers that look like ( or smell like )cover models.
The thing that bothers me about Backpacker and other outdoor mags is that
(1) they encourage the purchase of useless heavy equipment, and (2)they
glamorize the thrill seeking aspects of outdoor life and use photos of
pretty people to promote an activity that is normally dirty, stinky, tiring,
and really UNsexy.  Some of the best hikers are kinda ugly, somewhat
disabled, intellectually advanced, and mostly unmaterialistic and frequently
too skinny or too fat...  Or am I just describing myself.  Then there is the
legendary "AT-Buttercup" and her fluffy white dog.