[pct-l] Jack Fair

Walt and I are blessed to have many memories of our visits with Jack. Behind
all the cussing and yelling was a man who lived life to the fullest and cared
about people in need.

Jack use to get gas for the illegals.  He had numerous gas cans stored in the
shed and he always kept some in his car trunk (full)!  Of course the price
was a bit inflated, and you had to listen to his story of the day before he
would sell you the gas.  And he loved his dogs, because they loved
unconditionally!

In '99 Walt and I got to Jack's where we were to meet up with Deb, Rebecca,
Ron and Brian before heading out to the Mojave.  We had dropped off our food
several days earlier to lighten our load.  Jack would do anything he could
for hikers, we were "family" he said.  Allen Downs came in shortly after we
did and needed some supplies.  We decided to go to the store for lunch and
asked Jack if he would drive us.  He said he wasn't feeling well but we could
take his car as long as we brought it back and we were to bring back a
sandwich back for his dinner too. We must have been gone longer than we
realized (food fantasies had to be satisfied - we ate a little bit of this
then a little bit of that)! because Jack called to check up on us -- really
he had gotten worried about lending us his car, he had forgotten who we were!
Jack told them that we had stolen his car and he wanted it back!  Of course
the ladies at the store knew who he was and that he must have lent us the car
because we had already ordered his fries, loaded with cheese and a steak
sandwich, just the way he liked it, "smothered with mayonnaise, not just a
@#$% little bit either, it just don't go down right that way! "Our waitress
told us to take our time, Jack wasn't going anywhere since we had the car,
which did surprise them because he doesn't usually lend it to hikers. We felt
very honored.

When we returned Jack was outside waiting for us, cussing up a storm, told us
we owed him more because we had been gone so @#$% long and had probably used
up @#$% lots of gas.  We said that would be fine and gave him his sandwich
and fries, you don't argue with Jack!  He got quiet and said "Oh Yeah, I
forgot about the sandwich, that's OK then, no harm done."  We didn't owe him
any money either, he didn't @#$% remember who he'd lent the car to and got
scared, but as long as it was @#$% us it was OK.

I was cleaning the kitchen when Jack came in and apologized again.  He said
that this wasn't a good day for him, he wasn't feeling well.  He had fallen
asleep in his chair and didn't see his car, knew someone took it to the store
but just couldn' t remember who. Life had been good to him but he was getting
pretty @#$%^ tired of it.  We had noticed that he seemed quieter and seemed
to get tired quicker. He also wasn't cussing as much that day. Not a good
sign!

For those of you who have met Meadow Ed (who is on the PCT trail again) he
and Jack go back a long way and ME had been helping Jack out with the house
and doctors visits for many years.  I hope Ed has learned about Jack, I'm
sure someone has told him because he is the closest to "family" we know Jack
had, although he did have children.

Rest in peace Jack, we'll miss you but your legacy lives on in the hearts of
those you touched!

Walt and Pat
The Happy Trails Couple

multipart/alternative