[pct-l] Re: PCT-L digest, Vol 1 #184 - 19 msgs

pct-l-request@mailman.backcountry.net writes:

> And go ahead and harass all you want. I'm utterly
> immune to it because I KNOW I'm right. Just ask Mr. Muir, Mr. Abbey, and
> Mr.
> Thoreau. Either your hike is a pilgrammage or it ain't.

Well said CMountainDave!

You ARE right. Good on you. There are woefully few visionaries on this list;
it's about time one spoke out and spoke THE TRUTH. But you are too humble, I
think. You are most certainly the spiritual comrade of Mr. Muir, Abbey, and
Thoreau. (Was it not Edward Abbey who said, "the marginal pollution,
toothpaste, cigarette butts and the like, really doesn't add up to a hill of
beans. That's really nitpicking, and it doesn't bother me a hoot." But I
digress.)

You, good sir, are also in league with Ghandi, Nelson Mandela, that Chinese
Dude who stood in front of the tank, and even the great Lazlo Toth. You are
fighting the Good Fight against those who would befoul Our Wilderness with
their selfish personal challenges. It's like that blind guy who summited
Everest on the cover of Time Magazine. Blind, my eye! I heard he can
distinguish light and dark on the left side. What a fraud! Even though I've
never met him, I KNOW that he's only in it for his own glory, not climbing
Everest for the REAL REASONS why it should be climbed.

I am with you, 110%, my man. Together, we can use this platform to gather
more for The Cause: to cry out--a collective voice in the wilderness, if you
will--against the oppressive people hiking the PCT, climbing Everest, or any
similar activity as some sort of "personal quest" instead of the pilgrammage
it is meant to be. And when we are through with them, we'll move on to show
our overt disdain for any other individuals who dare to get under our
collective skin.

Perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself, but I have a target group once we are
through disparaging those gogetter/dogooder/teacher's pet/anything for
personal glory types. One thing that really steams my beans is when people
use dead celebrity icons as cardboard cutouts to advance their own skewed
worldview, paying no heed to whether or not the former figures would really
enjoy being considered in such company.

Fight! Fight! Fight!
I'm with ya!

I remain,