[pct-l] good news

Hey Folks,  how's everybody these days ? (note, I am ignoring all =
Regional Coordinator for the PCTA I would like to share the good news =
about trail maintenance.  My Area Coordinator, John Lyons, has lead 3 =
work crews thus far in the Shasta-Trinity NF up here in Section P.  This =
is his report w/3 of his 4 projects being completed: =20

 "Rode to gumboot trail head on Thurs., removed several large rocks
and three large trees. On Fri. went to Bull Lake  and removed 4 large
rocks and 4 med. trees. Sat did tread work till 2 P.M. ,broke camp and
came home, not that much brush"

I think for those of you hiking the PCT up here, you'll be pleasingly =
surprised. A gal that went thru before all this trail work was finished =
painted this whole area as being in rotten shape. Her feedback is posted =
in the PCTA web site under trail conditions in California.  Most, not =
all, of the area she talks about from Castle Crags north to Deadfall =
Lakes is now cleared of brush, most of the fallen trees and huge rocks. =
John's next, and last trip for this year, (anyone want to join us up =
here as a crew member?) is scheduled for July 27th thru the 30th. At the =
end of that work party the PCT will be passable from Dog Trail (Castle =
Crags area) to Scott Mtn Summit (in the guide book-5th addition-pgs. 452 =
to 465).

The volunteers that come forward to do this work is impressive. They are =
mainly (but certainly not all) older men who love the area and know it =
extremely well (two of the guys have been in this area for over 50 =
yrs.). They volunteer their personal gear, time and energy. Many are =
members of the Back Country Horsemen. They are a marvelous and rare =
breed.  If more of us would step forward, the trail would be in even =
better shape.=20

I would like to use this opportunity to thank ALL volunteers for all =
their efforts. We need to remember the PCTA has  minimal amount of paid =
employees ( 4?) Virtually EVERYTHING else is done by volunteers and =
USFS, BLM, etc.  Again, even w/these other agencies helping, individual =
volunteers are what keep the trail we all love, passable.  I thank each =
and everyone. Without the volunteers there would be no PCT.

JoAnn Michael
Regional Coordinator, Northern California, PCTA

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---