[pct-l] Everest verses PCT

As someone who has done a 600 mile section hike on the PCT and made two attempts
on Everest, I figured I'd add my 2 cents here.

Both Everest trips were as a client on a "commercial" climb. (These days the
vast majority of Everest expeditions are "commercial" in the sense that they are
sponsored in some way). I had also climbed 21 mountains in the years leading up
to Everest. Yes, I was a client, and yes I did not have the experience to put my
own trip together. I had earned the right to be there however and believe I had
the skills and experience to get myself out of trouble in most circumstances.
Did I have 20 years of climbing? No. I didn't summit either year, and I wouldn't
trade my experiences for anything. The preparation, the process of the attempt,
the people are worth far more than standing on the summit. Now mind you, I
wanted to stand on the top of Everest more than I had ever wanted anything in my
life. And I didn't make it - twice. But I climbed because I had - and have - a
passion for it, because it feeds my soul.

And that is the reasons I spent several months on the PCT and will return to do
another hunk when the time is right. Because I love it and it feeds me.

I believe that the big problem on Everest these days is that there are so many
people who want to stand on the top of it. And they don't much care about
getting there. It's the peak they are interested in not the process.

I saw several of those folks on the PCT in '99 as well. They didn't really have
much interest in or attention to the process of walking the miles they walked
each day. They were doing it primarily to get to Canada.

I think there is much similarity in the Everest peak baggers and the PCT trail
baggers. Yes, Everest is more dangerous. And yes, the PCT requires a longer
period of time of commitment and walking through the desire to just go home. And
for both, I believe the greatness is in enjoying the process. All of it.
Preparation, joy, learning, training, blisters, 40 below windchill factors, deep
snow in the Sierras, ladders in the Icefall, overly hungry marmots, recalcitrant
yaks, putting one foot in front of the other because deep inside it is what we
most want to do.

Hadn't intended to go on for so long. In the end, whether on the PCT or Everest,
I hope for us all that we hike our own hike and do it because it is our heart's
desire rather than out of a need to prove something. Hike - climb - on!

Namaste, m

--
"At every moment of our life we have an
opportunity to choose joy."

Margo Chisholm
Coach, Speaker, Author, Therapist
Partnering you in having success,
freedom and joy in all areas of your life
970-704-9336    fax 970-704-9346
margo@tothesummit.com
http://www.tothesummit.com

Celebrating The Journey is a free, weekly
email newsletter, full of resources and
quotes, humor and coaching to support you
in having the life you REALLY want. Visit
http://www.tothesummit.com to subscribe.