[pct-l] Everest verses PCT/"Firsts"/ Gothic Girl/ Mike Nuebig

Yeah Gina,  I agree. It's all part of the "instant gratification" culture.
Why bother to work your way up. Just start at the top instead. (Got some more
climbing/hiking storys if you're interested)
  Now here's a touchy subject. I won't mention any names, but if someone
states that they are going to do a triple thru hike and then skips a section
because Mother Nature throws a curve and/or they are ill prepared does it
count as an "official" triple thru hike? Or does it leave the door wide open
for some future nit picker to claim they are going to attempt a "real" triple
thru hike and claim previous attempts at a one year triple crown to be
"close, but no cigar." Betcha any money that is exactly what will happen. Now
I'm in no way a "purist" when it comes to thru hikes nor do I think it
matters much whether one actually completes a thru hike and that one should
"hike their own hike" with their own dreams amd guidelines but when someone
claims they are going to accomplish a first, they better dot all their i's
and cross all their "t's" or some future wanna be is going to make a case out
of it. Mountaineering is full of such stuff. For example, a "first" summit
only counts if you get back down alive. (Yeah,  Mallory might have summited
Everest "first" but the glory went to Hillary because he survived the
effort.) And I believe the "first" PCT thru hike is considered questionable
because it wasn't well documented. Guess I believe that if you're gonna talk
the talk you better walk the walk. Or am I perhaps being a little too
negative by bringing this up?
  On a more positive note:
    Gothic Girl -- more recipes, please
   Mike Nuebig -- excellent writing style!! more please