[pct-l] summary of PCT through hikes

I sent this to a couple of people privately, but since I haven't actually
done the hikes, I thought I'd ask the experienced people on the list if it's
more or less accurate; I figure one month per state; all of California
is divided into three states, per the data book:

Northbound

May So Cal
    new snow in Laguna, old snow in San Jacinto, desert heat in many places
Jun High Sierra old snow
Jul No Cal pleasant (except mosquitos)
Aug Or pleasant
Sep Wa
    pushing winter - very bad weather possible in N Cascades with new snow
    very bad weather likely by Oct if delayed

Southbound

Jun Wa
    solid old snow in N cascades, no trail, map and compass, new snow possible
Jul Or pleasant (except mosquitos)
Aug No Cal pleasant
Sep High Sierra -
    bad weather possible - snowed at Donner Pass last Labor Day
Oct So Cal -
    dry hot desert, no snow likely

except many people would wait until July to start in Wa, with the result:

Oct High Sierra
    pushing winter - very bad weather likely - new snow
Nov So Cal
    dry cold windy desert, snow likely in San Jacinto/Laguna, short days

All the bad weather is survivable, unless you're unlucky, but unpleasant -
you are cold, wet, thinking of food constantly.    Eric Ryback's
book had some questionable spots in California, but his account of
June in the snowbound North Cascades sounded real enough to me.

It appears that this is the year to try a southbound through hike with
snow levels lower than normal everywhere (except So Cal?)

As for me, I'll stick to half-sections.      That way, over a period of
years, I can enjoy all the high country at its best in August, and also
the desert in springtime bloom.      Too bad there's not more foothill
territory that's ideal for mid-May through mid-July and mid-September through
October.     If you get too far off season, the little stores and post offices
and even campgrounds tend to be closed as in "illegal to camp" -
Tuolumne Meadows campground is off-limits from late September until mid-June,
I think.

I know from experience that September/October are wonderful in the High Sierra
and North Cascades when the weather is good (short days but no bugs) but
lethal when bad storms catch unprepared hikers.