[pct-l] re: tp alternatives and NIGHT SOIL

In Asia there are greenbelts where they recycle human waste in the formm of
Night Soil. During the night someone comes by with a cart and collects the
days feces and urine. The contents are then directly applied to the
greenbelts where they grow food. The problem with this method is that
pathogens have a high survival rate compared to the thermophilic composting
process. Ever wonder why Asians cook their vegetables and don't eat them
raw? The heat from cooking is how they deal with unwanted pathogens that
cause diseases like intestinal parasites, hepatatis, cholera and typhoid.
Despite the negative aspects of night soil like the potential for disease
not to mention the smell, Asians have been growing crops on the same land
for thousands of years without the use of synthetic fertilizers.

IMO, there are far better methods than using your hand to whipe. Besides, if
you are healthy and eating wholesome foods you will find in many instances
no need to whipe. IF you require TP I recommend you find a brand that's not
bleached. Like I pointed out before, chlorine is toxic.

Regarding LNT, I have practiced packing out TP for over 10,000 miles of
backpacking. Since I've been composing humanmanure for nearly a year and
have seen first hand how rapidly TP decomposes I am now inclined to "stir it
up" as someone else mentioned. Keep in mind that feces and urine smell
because they contain high concentrations of Nitrogen. If you mix organic
(carbon based) material (leaves, dirt, saw dust, straw, etc) with your
deposit then you'll balance the Carbon and Nitrogen which leads to no smell
and no flies. Seriously.

Ask yourself, if it's not okay to crap in rivers and streams in the
backcountry what makes it okay to do it when you are at home? Every time you
flush guess where it's going?

David Patterson