[pct-l] dogs

Last year we met several people on the PCT who started the trail with dogs.
Most went home before Wrightwood.  We saw no thru-dogs north of Yosemite.
Between extreme heat (we had 100 degree days even in northern California),
little water, long miles to cover each day, volcanic rock that tears up the
pads, snowy passes and deep stream crossings, a PCT thruhike really isn't a
good place for a dog, even one that loves to hike.  Most dogs will keep
going until they collapse, but is that any way to treat a friend? One couple
managed to get their dog as far as Belden before they decided that it was
too hard on him and it was time to go home. They went through at least four
sets of leather pad protectors and a couple of packs, trying to get a good
fit for their medium sized dog. Then they were caught in Yosemite with their
dog, and might have gotten away with it except that he was a very unfriendly
dog who growled at the ranger who stopped them. (He wasn't any friendler to
the other hikers.) They got in a lot of trouble over that one, and were
kicked out of the park with dire warnings of what would happen if they tried
to sneak back in again. Another man found a stray dog on the trail and
adopted her.  She was a sweet dog, but kept trying to run away. John spent a
lot of time trying to find her.  We passed him when he got off the trail for
a couple of weeks, and I don't know if they ever got back on the trail.  He
was a much faster hiker than I am, but they never caught up again.  I love
dogs - but I would think several times before I would bring a dog on a long
distance hike.  Maybe on the CDT, for company since there are so few other
hikers, but probably not even then. It isn't fair to the dog, and it makes
it much harder on the hiker to have to look out for someone who depends on
you and can't speak up when they're tired or hurting and probably doesn't
understand why there is no water when they want and need it.
Ginny