[pct-l] Tarp v. Tent

>> I have always preferred a tarp to save weight, but wonder whether this
would
be best all the way through.  <<

If you've preferred a tarp in the past, then you've answered your own
question. The bugs, rain, storms that drive some people into tent's aren't
that bad. Personally I prefer to sleep out under the stars. So unless it's
raining out, the tarp stays in the pack.

The ant's in So. CA weren't any worse than anywhere else. In fact I found
those big ants in No. CA an Oregon a lot more bothersome. Mosquitoes can be
quite annoying, but a good bug net more than compensates for that.

Assuming you're tarp is properly sized, rain isn't a problem even in
Washington. With proper placement you can stay as dry or drier than those in
tents.

For me the final issue is weight. In that department tents can't come close.
Not even Tom's Nomad. At 2+ pounds with polls, ground sheet, stakes, etc.,
it still has barely enough room for one person and some gear. Then you're
likely to be waking up every morning damp and having to spend time drying
gear soaked from condensation.

Ron
Ron "Fallingwater" Moak
http://www.fallingwater.com/