[pct-l] Re: Info on PCT

<< The San Felipe Hills north of Scissors Crossing is the longest dry
stretch.
 It is about 40 miles to Barrel Springs....   I would carry a gallon of water
out of Scissors Crossing.  >>

I agree with BigHummel on most of his comments, but it's "only" 23.8 miles
from Scissors Crossing to Barrel Spring.  I suggest you carry 6 liters (1.5
gallons) out of Scissors Xing if you get out early (gain that elevation
before it gets hot) and are pretty certain you can make Barrel Springs the
same day.  If you expect to overnight in the San Felipes, carry 2 gallons.
Don't count on water in the middle of this stretch.  There isn't any unless
some Trail Angel provides it.

Here is an excerpt from my trail notes for this section in 1997, just as
info.  You make the call:

"The next day (Friday 5/9), we hiked the last 3 miles to the San Felipe
Creek.  It was running well, but we were worried about cattle contamination
here, so we side-hiked up the road to a marsh called Sentenac Cienaga that
was supposed to be better.  It wasn't.  Less flow, still signs of cattle.  So
we came back to San Felipe with empty bottles.  Cattle or not we filtered 6
liters each of this water, plus what we used there.  Ahead of us was our
toughest test yet.

"Our plan had been to get going early while it was still cool, but the water
fiasco cost us much time.  We began the uphill, 23.5-mile dry hike to Barrel
Spring at about 11:30 AM.  The first couple miles climb were switchbacks up a
south-facing slope.  By 1 PM, the heat, sun, uphill climb, and 12 pounds of
water in our packs were making us quite uncomfortable.  It became clear that
to continue under these conditions would require more water than we had.  We
were risking heat exhaustion and dehydration.  But there was no shade in
sight.  The sun, which was baking the slope, left no shadows anywhere.  There
were no trees of any kind.  Lots of cactus and some brush.  We found a mostly
shady spot under some brush and rested.  A short nap, an early dinner and
soon it was 3:30 PM and much cooler, probably down in the high 80's or so,
but there was a breeze and an afternoon thunder cloud was giving us some
shade.  We were quite thirsty, but had already used 1/3 of our water in the
first 3 miles (of 23.5).  We were getting worried.  Fortunately, the storm
shaded us until about 5 PM, even dropping a few big drops of rain!  The
higher altitude meant cooler conditions too.  We hiked as fast as we could
without overdoing it until past sunset, drinking one pint of water per hour
while covering 2.5 miles per hour.  By nightfall, we were exhausted, thirsty
and dirty, but we had covered a good 10 miles since dinner and still had 2
liters water per person.

"The next day (Saturday 5/10), we were awake at first light and on the trail
by 5:45 AM.  We intended to get to Barrel Spring before it got too hot.  We
arrived at 10:30 AM, with only a psychologically significant 1 cup of water
each left.  We were dehydrated, but not severely.  A little luck, some good
decisions on when to hike (and not), and a good rationing plan combined to
get us through in good shape.  At Barrel Spring, we each drank down a full
liter of the best tasting water I've seen in a while!  Another liter soon
followed before we felt hydrated again.  We should have carried 8 liters
rather than 6."