[pct-l] (Guest Post) HIKE COTTONWOOD PASS TRAIL TO MT. WHITNEY

<< PLEASE SEND INFORMATION ABOUT THIS TRAIL. I WIIL GO IN AGUST 2001. I NEED
TO KNOW IF THE TRAIL IF DIFICULT . SINCERLY RIGFO >>

This is a beautiful hike.  The trail should be open and, as far as I know, in
good condition.  I hiked it twice in 1997 as a part of our northbound PCT
hike.  The first time, we took the alternate route down from the headwaters
of Rock Creek, following the creek until it reached the PCT again.  (I highly
recommend this alternate route for the scenery.)  After we had resupplied in
Lone Pine, we returned to the trail via Cottonwood Pass to avoid a difficult
climb over Whitney Trailcrest with heavy packs.  There was a lot of snow on
the passes in June, but you should have no trouble with snow in August.

Is the hike difficult?  That depends.  Much of the trail is above 11,000
feet, and steep in places.  If you take that into account, you should have no
problems.

Two other cautions:  There is very little water between Rock Creek and
Crabtree Meadow, so plan accordingly.  And, if you're not familiar with
weather in the Sierra Nevada, be aware that it can snow even in August.  Not
likely, but just keep in mind that you may run into thunderstorms.  They
usually blow through quickly.  Enjoy your hike!