[pct-l] Seeking Advice on PCT footwear

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mara Factor" <m_factor@hotmail.com>
To: <latte94@foothill.net>; <rick@rickhubbard.org>
Cc: <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Monday, March 05, 2001 7:35 AM
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Seeking Advice on PCT footwear

> BTW, another sock recommendation would be Bridgedale.  I used just two
pair
> for about 1600 miles on the AT and still use them for hiking.
>
> Mara
>
> P.S.  Anyone have any ideas for preventing what I call heat blisters?  The
> only painful blisters I got on the AT were between my toes during the
height
> of the heat wave in '99.  Temps were above 100 almost every day for a
while. Mara,

I don't know if there is any scientific basis to my solution to the heat
blister problem, but I faithfully anointed my feet at lunch and bed time
with an anti-fungal. Maybe it worked for pschhological reasons, and then I
became superstitious about the routine. I dried shoes, inserts (super feet)
and socks both at lunch and at night.  My socks were one pair of liners only
every where I hiked, and I always had a clean pair to put on at night. One
advantage of sock liners was that they "washed" easily in an available
puddle, etc. and dried on the back of my pack.