[pct-l] Buy a Gun, Save a Park

Funny you should question my math:

196,140 murders in the US (#'s obtained from www.ameristat.org)

4734 murders in Canada (#'s obtained from statistics canada)

196,140/4734 = 41.43

Now the population difference - I'll use your figures because the U.S. #'s
may be more up to date than mine.

285,000,000 / 31,004,632 = 9.19.

41.13 / 9.19 = 4.476.

So...as before...you're 4.5 times more likely to be murdered in the U.S.

If anyone wants to continue this debate, I suggest we do it outside of this
forum.  I'm sure many people on the list aren't appreciative of this thread.

Cheers,

Jess

At 05:56 AM 2/27/2001 -0800, Richard Calliger wrote:
>1- Population of US (2000 Census) =  approx. 285,000,000
>   + or - a few Clinton supporters and Flordians = .
>
>2- BUT- The population of Canada (2000) = approx 31,004,632
>   + or - a few people who went to Florida to vote
>   and stayed becasue it was warmer there.
>
>3- That means there is about 9.5 times the population in the US over Canada.
>
>4- Therefore, if you normalize your statistics by dividing the US
homicides  by
>   9.5 it is actually MORE LIKELY to be a homicide victim in Canada - the
Land
>   of the Midnight Sun and No Smith and Wessons - than the US by a factor
>   of 5 times approximately!!
>
>Rich
>
>At 11:40 PM 2/26/01 -0800, Jess Bossert wrote:
>>What a strange place to bring this issue up, but I feel I must comment:
>>
>>Homicides in Canada 1990-98: 4734.
>>Homicides in the U.S. 1990-98: 196140.
>>
>>You're more than 4.5 times more likely to get murdered in the U.S.
>>
>>How do handguns for personal use make you safer again?
>>
>>Walk softly,
>>Hike your own hike,
>>Don't even think of shooting anyone.
>>
>>...Jess
>>

>>At 10:49 PM 2/26/2001 EST, Montedodge@aol.com wrote:
>>> Little known fact is 10% of Fed. tax on Firearms goes to National Park
>>Fund.
>>>England and Austrailia basicly lost all rights to own firearms( for the
good
>>>of the people of course )and now crime has tripled. Too bad they lost a
way
>>>to inhance their parks as well. I guess their government just forgot to
tell
>>>their bad guys to turn their guns in as well!  I'm sure our criminals are
>>>more  behaved and would comply with the rules if U.S. was to take away our
>>>2nd amendment. Having said that, I feel  no need to have or use a
firearm on
>>>the PCT, but would feel more comfortable meeting the biggest biker in the
>>>world with a handgun than a nation in which only the government is "
>>Allowed"
>>>to own firearms and defend itself. A law is being brought up a West
Virginia
>>>that will make it illegal to sleep in any room of your home but the
bedroom.
>>>( True Story) Also another in New York that makes owning , b.uying or
>>saling a
[ *** too many quoted lines.  automatically truncated *** ]

[ *** too many quoted lines.  automatically truncated *** ]