[pct-l] Re: alternate routes

At 04:07 PM 2/25/01 , "David O" <o123david@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Does this make it permissible for those hiking from Mexico to Canada?

Deciding that YOU want to hike that route, makes it permissible. Do you
really need Charlie's permission? You have mine if you NEED someone to approve.

Personally if I wanted blue-blaze vs white-blaze "purist" wars, I'd hike
the AT.

On a side note:
If you are hiking on top of several feet of snow, and are not over the
trail tred the whole way, or even not in the same drainage because you
can't see the trail, are you still doing a 'thru hike'? Will Charlie still
look up to you when you get to Manning park? Do you care?

The actual "official" route of the PCT is often arbitrary, and dictated by
political expediency and land owner concerns.

Some places, like just north of Red's meadows, the "official" route was
chosen over the 'proffered' route (the JMT) because the official route
clears of snow earlier, even though it is quite a bit less scenic.

Hike you own hike
Brick