[pct-l] Watches, Compass, GPS, altimeter, thermometer, cell phones, Palm pilot, . . .

Leave it all behind.  One of the joys of the PCT is reducing the artificial
distractions of modern life to a minimal necessity.

A compass?  I'll argue and argue that a compass or watch is not necessary and
I just cannot understand why all of you ultra light weights aren't tuning
into this!  If you know how to read a topographic map well and you supply
yourself with good maps in those locations where you are most likely to lose
the trail, then you can orient without a compass.  Try it next time you go on
a weekender.  Leave the compass behind, but spend a hour studying the map in
detail the area that you will be visiting and familiarize yourself with all
of the geographic features.

I taught a troop of Boy Scouts this a few years ago and was just about
crucified by the troop leader for teaching them orienteering without a
compass!

See ya' all in Lake Morena!

Greg "No Junk" Hummel