[pct-l] Memories of Butch

I have been devastated by the news of Butch Wiggs' death.  We do a 300
mile section hike in the Sierras every year, and try to get to VVR on
every trip.  We first met Butch on our  first section hike in '96, when
we  used VVR for a resupply after 27 straight days on the trail, and
spent 40 hours at the resort enjoying every possible comfort, including
Butch's amazing friendliness and hospitality.  In '97 we became llama
packers, and showed up at VVR with our  two llamas.  We  were planning
to hike back to the PCT from VVR when Butch offered to take the llamas
on his ferry, "just to see if it would work".  I was blown away!  We
loaded the llamas on to the ferry that was already full of hikers, and
off we went.  About halfway across the lake Butch looked at the llamas
and their huge packs and said, "Hmm, if one of these critters was to
panic and jump into the lake right now, he'd sink like a rock, wouldn't
he?"  We agreed with him.  Fortunately the llamas took the ferry ride in
stride and we reached the dock without incident.
   We returned in '98 with three llamas, and again in '99.  We arrived
in '99 a day over schedule, and had run out of llama feed.  Butch
offered us all the free feed the llamas could eat, and let us camp in
the woods right in front of the store, between the two parking lots.  We
were just astonished by his generosity.  We have been chased out of
Yosemite and Red's Meadow on several occasions, simply because our big
furry foreigners just aren't welcome there.  No good reason, just
prejudice.  We didn't make it to VVR in 2000, and it's heartbreaking to
think the glory days of VVR are gone forever.  I can only hope that a
miracle can occur, and someone with the gift of a generous spirit, like
Butch had in abundance, will take over at VVR and carry on the tradition
he so well established.  I will miss him forever.
     "Life is eternal, and love is immortal, and death is only a
horizon.
      Life is eternal, as we move into the light, and the horizon is
nothing save the limit of our sight."
                ---Carly Simon

Marion Davison