[pct-l] Hiking pole study

Just a little (non-PCT-related) physics insight:

Propelling your body forward (running or walking) on flat ground (or smooth
15% grade or whatever) at a constant rate is *exactly* the same (from a
purely physics standpoint) as propelling your body forward against a
treadmill surface of the same grade.  This assumes you aren't hanging onto
the railings to balance yourself in which case it would be different.

If the treadmill surface is moving past you at the same speed you normally
run (on the ground), you have to push yourself forward the exact same
amount to keep up with the treadmill surface.  The only way to push "down"
harder is to jump higher or gain weight.

As for the treadmill vs. outdoors debate, there are certainly other factors
(convenience, solitude, etc.) that make the two different - I just wanted
to clarify the physics.

My intro:  my name is David Wright and I live in Los Angeles, but I'm
originally from Portland, Oregon, a much wetter and greener place.  I'm
currently finishing up an M.S. in Aerospace Engineering at the University
of Southern California (go Trojans!).  I have only ever hiked about 10
miles on the PCT when I did the Timberline trail around Mt. Hood many years
ago.  A few friends and I are considering the possibility of hiking the PCT
in the next couple of years, so I'm just trying to absorb all your
experience and wisdom... thanks, and keep it coming!

David

p.s.  hi noser!

Jim Serio <jim@rollercoaster.com>@mailman.backcountry.net on 01/25/2001
04:10:27 PM