[pct-l] Re: Dehydrating sausage/hot dogs?

I've tried dehydrating sausage, the problem is the meat doesn't dry properly
because it's coated with fat and the fat goes rancid.

You could take the dry German sausages made for hunters. I forget what they're
called, but they were my hiking staple when I lived in Germany. Look for them at a
high-end deli or German deli. Dry salamis and pepperonis can also be carried for
quite a while in the pack. Wrap them in several layers of clean paper, then baggie
them.

Another solution is a kosher salami. They last in the pack a long time, so long as
they are wrapped in layers of paper (to absorb grease). It's better to carry them
in a cloth bag as they need low humidity.

Warning - your pack will really smell like salami - a possible bear or Italian
chick hazard.

Katt