[pct-l] ice axes

In a message dated 1/13/2001 8:31:42 AM Eastern Standard Time, AT1996@aol.com
writes:

<<  Again, since I'm from SC, buying an ice axe seems like
 a monumental task.  Recommendations, please?  I was overwhelmed by some of
 the discussions on positive and negative ones. >>

Gail,

You can use mine, I won't be using this year.  It's an SMC Alpine 80 cm with
a lanyard.  Although I'm not sure how heavy it actually is, it's not all that
light, but it is sturdy.

Perhaps another on the list with more ice ax experience then I, can help you
out as far fit and if it's the right ax for you.

I mostly stowed it and tried to travel when the snow was soft using my Lekis
to keep my balance and stay upright, but there were times on extremely steep
icy traverses when I did carry it.  Fortunately, I've been lucky and I've
have never had to self arrest.

Anyway, you're welcome to borrow it, if don't buy your own.

Sly