[pct-l] ice axes

>(4) I last looked at axes a few years ago and bought a Grivel Air Tech
Racing.  This is a relatively light, simple, axe with a steel alloy head and
an aluminum shaft.  I bought it as a general purpose axe that would work
well for treking.  The Grivel Pamir is also relatively light (and is less
expensive).  The only complaint people seem to have with the Pamir is that
its high-carbon steel head tends to rust a little.  The fix is to oil it,
which could be annoying on a long trek.

The Air Tech (Mont Blanc) is probably the most popular axe among PCT hikers
of the last couple years. It's small, lightweight (12 oz for shortest
model), sturdy-feeling, and UIAA approved. And like other axes, its head
rusts, too, although only superficially in my experience. Last year I
carried a Cassin Dragonfly, thanks to Mrs Gorp of this list. I actually
preferred this axe, not only because it weighs around 9 ounces, but its
aluminum head, to me, felt the most responsive of any piolet-style axe I've
used. It is not UIAA approved, nor is any axe with an aluminum head. This is
something to consider when shopping for a self-arrest axe, but for me the
advantages outweighed any safety concerns. Of course, I tested the axe, and
myself, in advance of my PCT journey, with self-arrest practice.

>(5) There is no possible reason to carry both a trowel and an ice axe.

On a lighter note, one never knows about #5, especially just following a
life-saving self-arrest.

- blisterfree