[pct-l] Bummed!!

At 12:10 PM -0800 1/12/01, Elizabeth A. Foshion wrote:
.....<snip> Do guys going solo get this response, or is
>a girl thing?

Ok- I am going to really step into this one:

First, I think it is a sexist thing..a *lot* of men still don't realize
a *lot* of women can climb, hike and run their butts off.  Thus
dispelling the "male-dominance" thingy- that went by the wayside
in the 80's and 90's for the most part anyway; but it is, unfortunately,
still alive and well in parts of this country/world.

However:

it is also a practical thing- not many men get sexually assaulted
 and dragged off...whereas it is a frightening and sad statistic
regarding women; so there is a real (ie, non-sexist) threat no matter
how well prepared a woman is.  The solo thing represents a fear
factor- the AT  more than the PCT... maybe becasue the PCT is
more remote in most of its length and the crazies which do these
things to women don't appear where "pickings" aren't easy.

Then again:

overall crime rates have (supposedly according to FBI statistics)
dropped. I wonder are their crime stats for the 29 sections?  Out of
the 2 or 3 solo ladies I met in PCT '90 as well as over the last
few years of  PCT Section re-hikes the factor was pretty low.

Check out the FBI Uniform Crime stats at: (Their links are
*always* broken- so keep trying- they eventually come up).

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/ucreports.htm

Rich