[pct-l] Self Arrests

There really is no substitute for practice in a class on snow. It was a
requirement for credit inthe mountaineering class I helped out with in
Bremerton. I wish I could show you how via e-mail but I just can't. But
here's some advise. Hang on with your thumb under the adze ( the ice choping
part of the ax) and fingers over the top of the ax. The adze should be on the
thumb side of the hand, the pick on the pinky side. Your first instinct when
you slip will be to grab the shaft with your other hand. (the ax should be on
the uphill side when traversing) 8 times out of ten just grabbing the ax with
your free hand will suffice to arrest your fall.  If that fails, shove the
pick into the snow hang on with an iron grip and hopefully you will drag to a
stop within a few feet. Aggresively kicking into the snow with your feet at
the same time also helps to stop you. Try to traverse  snow at a slightly up
or down angle. Going straight down is the most dangerous because if you slip
you are likely to pick up speed before you can get on your stomach and into
the self arrest position. Picking up speed greatly complicates the process.
If it's real icy( usually early in the day before the sun has a chance to
soften the snow) you should be wearing instep crampons and may need to chop
out small platforms to put your feet in as you traverse. Real soft post
holing snow is almost never a problem. Most of the time you can't even
glissade it, let alone lose control. Most of all, try to put your fear into a
box and put it away while traversing and never lean into the snow. Try to
stand in a true vertical position at all times . Try and find that place
between being cavelier and over adrenelated from fear. Over confidence will
bring about the mountain's wrath but so will under confidence. A mutal
respect is what you seek. And remember to tell the mountain how pretty she
is. After all that is your purpose for being there to her because only humans
can give her the concept of her beauty via their thoughts. I honestly believe
that flattery and respect go along way towards safe passage.
      Try and find the Mountaineer's book "Freedom of the Hills" at your
library or sporting goods store. They have a chapter devoted to snow travel
and have a good series of self arrest pictures