Re: [pct-l] Bear Canisters

In a message dated 12/31/2000 1:26:34 AM Eastern Standard Time,
kdpo@pacbell.net writes:

<< On both of our JMT hikes ('98 and"99) Marcia carried a Garcia canister in
a frameless back pack so the canister provided some shape and rigidity. We
propped it in rocks at night, or in a basin area. One night it was slimed by
a (bear?)nose. Another evening a bear at Cathedral Lakes approached it, made
a u-turn and visited another camp. We heard the pot and lid banging to scare
off the bear.>>>

The people in the camp next to you probably hung their food, I doubt they
kept it in their tent, they wouldn't have bothered bang their pots!

<<< Ray Jardine can stop reading now, but I also carried it on our PCT
through hike. I probably wouldn't do that again, but I do think it save our
food from ants, mice and marmots, too. And we were legal in SEKI without
realizing that we were supposed to carry it.  >>

There's no problem in carrying extra weight (needless gear ), every one does
it.  You made it the distance, extra weight or not.  Nuff said. Even the
ultralights are always trying to trim their pack.

Losing the bear canister you carried though, is a giant step!  ;)

hny' all, sly

To:            <at-l@backcountry.net>, <pct-l@backcountry.net>