Re: [pct-l] Books for Reading

In a message dated 12/28/2000 9:32:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
reynolds@ilan.com writes:

<< Probably the outdoor adventure book that affected me the most was "Into
Thin
 Air". Some say that the author was justifying his own cowardness but,
 nevertheless, the book teaches an excellent lesson for anyone whould lead
 novices on an expidition. >>

After you read "Into Thin Air" make sure you read "The Climb"  by Boukereev
(sp) that one gives his own account and the one I'm more likely to believe.
The truth probably lies in between the two books somewhere.  Although
Krackauer's a great writer and accomplished in his own right as a
mountaineer, I think he was out of his league on this expedition, as were
many of the others that paid to climb Everest.

Sly

To:            pct-l@edina.hack.net