Re: [pct-l] Re:(pct-l)Books

Being a librarian, I love to recommend books.  Here are some that folks
on the list might enjoy.

Bruce Chatwin: Songlines (humans are most content when living a nomadic
existence)

Lars Eighner: Travels with Lizbeth (a homeless man's journey with his dog)

Charles Frazier: Cold Mountain (Civil War long distance hiking)

Molly Gloss: The Jump-Off Creek (single pioneer woman in Eastern Oregon
successfully sustains herself.  If you like this, you might want to try
her other book - The Wild Life - a sort of bigfoot romance. Yes, THAT
bigfoot!)

David Guterson: East of the Mountains (my favorite novel at the moment.
Beautiful writing, great story and takes place in Washington.)

Jon Krakauer: Into the wild (strange, true story about a loner's last
months in Alaska)

Wallace Stegner: Angle of Repose (genteel Eastern woman moves to the
American frontier with her mining engineer husband)

Mark Sundeen: Car Camping (slacker in a subaru!)

Moritz Thomsen: Living Poor - A Peace Corps Chronicle (from the early days
of the Peace Corps, set in Ecuador. Brutally honest.)

Hey! This is my first post to the list after months of interested lurking.
Although not a Thruhiker, I enjoy hiking and backpacking and do lots of it
in the summer months in Oregon and Washington.

Happy New Year,
Rachel

To:            PCT-L@backcountry.net