[pct-l] Ice axe, Was: Poles

At 11:08 AM 12/28/00 , Eric Lee (RAT) wrote:
>In other words, when in the early-season Sierras, don't think you can leave
>the axe home to save weight.  Every year there are people who ask if they
>can do that, and the answer is generally no.

In June 1999 thru-hiker John Lowder fell while descending a snowy pass
towards Lone Pine from the PCT. He was unable to self arrest and sustained
injuries that caused his death before he was found.

No ice axe was found with his body, and I have been told he was using a
trekking pole instead of an ice axe. That decision probably contributed to
his death.

http://www.pcta.org/news/art/lowder_death.shtml

Trekking poles for snow travel are not safe, unless you use one of the back
country ski poles with self arrest grips. Even these won't work on some
surfaces, since the picks on these poles are not as robust as the pick on
an ice axe.

http://www.firstrax.com/130.htm

To:            PCT-L@backcountry.net