Re: [pct-l] Books

IIMBSB, I'll add anything by Colin Fletcher:
The Thousand Mile Summer (A hike up the east side of California)
The Complete Backpacker I, II (and III?)
The Man Who Walked Through Time (A hike through the Grand Canyon)
The River (A float from source to sea down the Colorado River)

Fletcher has an excellent way of expressing the philosophy and virtues of
long distance wilderness adventures. IMHO.

And I will second anything by Edward Abbey.

If you are into environmental issues try the original book that 3M and a few
other chemical companies sued to prevent publishing and is generally credited
with starting the environmental movement: "Silent Spring" by Rachel Carson,
an unassuming marine biologist that happen to notice the impact of chemical
pollution on the environment in the early '60's and proposed the simple
question of "What could the potential long term result of all of this be?"

Another interesting one is "Entropy" by Jeremy Rifkin.  Written back in the
'70's, it takes a look at how the second law of thermodynamics effects and
rules all that we do as a society, from economics to politics, education,
environment, energy supply, etc., etc..
It has made me question how we do things in this society ever since reading
it almost 25 years ago.  Good stuff.

Greg "Strider" Hummel

To:            pct-l@backcountry.net