[pct-l] The PCT GPS Mapping Project

You can earn a free GPS. To do this you must accurately collect way points
on a section of the PCT.

I am doing this personally. The PCTA, Wilderness Press and Wildflower
Productions have nothing to do with this. However, I intend to supply
the trace to all three for their use at no charge.

The GPS weighs about 5 ounces with batteries. In addition you will need to
carry a paper pad and pen to record the way points.

You must collect waypoints either every 200 yards or every inflection point
[a point where the trail changes direction, at a switchback for example].
The GPS only holds 500 way point so you must record the waypoints [on paper]
and clear the GPS about every 30 miles [about once per day]. This requires
recording the latitude and longitude of 500 points. This could easily take a
couple of hours.

Organization of this effort will be done at ADZPCTKO. Therefore you must
attend this event to be part of this.

You do NOT need to be a thruhuker. However, the sections that need accurate
GPS mappings are those sections that are the least attractive. Charlie Jones
and I will do section A.  Section B-C-D needs mapping except though the
heart of the San Gabriels where the trail is well defined. Section E, F
requires mapping to Kennedy Meadows. From Kennedy Meadows to I-80 the trail
is well defined. North of I-80 to the Oregon border, the trail needs mapping
[L, M, N, O, P, Q, R].

If interested, please e-mail me directly.

Tom

To:            pct-l@backcountry.net