[pct-l] we don't need no stinking UNFAIR user fees

I'm in no way advocating the following because I don't want to be charged
with the crime of conspiracy to commit fraud. Let's just say I'm playing the
devil's advocate. Elvis objects to backpacking user fees because they are
used to maintain access roads and remodel lodges as well as maintain trails.
He objects because other non backpacking users also use this road, lodges and
trails but don't have to pay extra fees. He decides a little civil
disobedience is in order. He gets a quality ink jet printer and prints out a
fake drivers license from, say, Graceland. He then hikes without paying his
user fees and, of course, inevitably gets caught by a back country ranger.
With tongue in cheek, he sheepishly admits to his "crime," promises never to
do it again, hands over his fake ID and takes his "lumps." Other civil
obedienters who never question authority wag their tongues and cry shame on
you , Elvis, your nothing but a hound dog, crying all the time and may your
jailhouse rock. But Elvis is convinced he's right and pays no heed saying you
can do anything but stay off of my blue suede hiking boots. How is Elvis
going to be forced to pay his misguided user fees, when he is convinced that
two unfairs make a right and uses a fake ID? What happens if Elvis's strategy
catches on and the NPS is flooded with fine envelopes stamped with "return to
sender , address unknown, no such number, no such zone"? Once again, this is
just a possible scenario, not an advocation.  Moral of the story - user fees
had better be fair and equitable or people will find a way around them. Elvis
and Ghandi rule!
  P.S. Elvis went back to driving a truck. He gave me a ride to White's Motel
in Mojave whining the whole way about the highway fees truckers pay.

To:            reynolds@ilan.com
Cc:            pct-l@backcountry.net