Re: [pct-l] Kennedy Meadows to Whitney

<< I've hiked the JMT ( '88, '93, '96 ), but never the 60 odd miles from
Kennedy
 Meadows north to Mt. Whitney. I know the elevation changes, but would like
 some idea of the vista opportunity, and general trail condition, with any
 comparisons, recommendations, notes, or warnings if anyone welcomes this
 question. Thanks. >>

As we climb up toward Olancha Peak saddle on our way north from Kennedy
Meadows (the date is June 17, '97), we can feel the excitement of finally
reaching the Sierras.  Real mountains, real mosquitoes!  We look back over
Monache Meadow -- the largest in the Sierra -- and, when we finally reach the
saddle just west of Olancha Peak, we get our first glimpse of the Sierra snow
ahead.  It looks impassable, glistening in the sun the next morning as we
leave our camp on the saddle.

Now we are really hiking the Crest, with Owens Lake far below us to the east
and weathered foxtail pines among the rock formations along our path near
Trail Peak.  The next day we pass Chicken Spring Lake, our first real alpine
lake.  Big Whitney Meadow is below us to the west.  Later in the day we enter
Sequoia N.P.  We have a panoramic view of the Siberian Outpost to the west,
then take the spectacular detour through the beautiful headwaters of Rock
Creek before rejoining the PCT and heading up over Mt. Guyot saddle.  The
last rays of the setting sun light Mt. Whitney to the east as we reach camp
at lower Crabtree Meadow.

Brian and I actually visited some of this country twice on our '97 hike.  We
went out over Mt. Whitney to Lone Pine to resupply, then returned to the
trail by way of the Horseshoe Meadow trailhead and Cottonwood Pass.  The
extra miles were a fair trade for avoiding the snowy climb up over Trail
Crest with full packs!

To:            pct-l@edina.hack.net