[pct-l] Trail Use Studies

Will
Somewhere in my age-damaged brain lurks a memory of some test trails in the
East Bay Park system, vic. of Oakland/Berkeley Calif..
I've not gotten a reply from an initial query, but I'm not surprised. Seemed
like kind of a dice-roll, and I have only received an autonote that an email
server somewhere will keep trying for another five days.....

Memory sez that alternate trails were set up with foot/equestrian/bike
routes across varied, similar terrain, with the intent of gauging impact
from various types of use.
The park system supports regular foot and horse races over that terrain, as
well as day/distance hikers on the Bay Area Rim Trail.
Incidentally, the EB Parks require users to get a permit - ya gotta be a
cardholder to use some parts of 'em, or did anyway - and sign a use log. I
was never checked in a couple of years of weekly use, but went along because
it seemed like a reasonable way to manage a limited resource i.e. greenspace
over yonder around the Bay. They could keep track of use, and a rather
nominal fee went to trail construction and maintainence. Not to poison oak
eradication however.....
I'll post info if I ever receive any, meanwhile there's a lead if someone
has another idea how to follow it.
- Coaster

multipart/alternative
  text/html