[pct-l] Alpine Lakes Wilderness

At 03:49 PM 10/20/00 , KBerger466@aol.com wrote:
>This was an organized race, with aid stations, and it took place in the
>Alpine Lakes Wilderness.

I've never heard of the USFS issuing a permit for a race in wilderness
areas. But that doesn't mean they don't (or didn't) in that district. As
far as I can tell from USFS websites, there are no trailhead quotasin the
Alpine Lakes Wilderness (just camping quotas around Enchantment Lakes,
Stuart Lake, Colchuck Lake and Snow Lakes), so that point doesn't apply.

It is also difficult to have aid stations in a wilderness area, since aid
stations mean cars,  and there is no vehicle access to wilderness areas.

If you can give me the month, and year, maybe I can find more information
about the race you saw.

The only one I can think of is the Cascade Crest 100 miler. In 1999 it had
15 entrants, in 2000, it had 43 starters, 30 finishers. It starts and ends
in Easton WA, about 15 miles east of Snoqualmie Pass on I-90, and runs in
August.

-Brick