[pct-l] Fwd: Subject: Lassen National Park Draft General Management Plan

Please reply directly to mailto:trails@pcta.org

Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 15:23:06 -0800
From: "Reuben Rajala, PCTA Trails Program Director" <trails@pcta.org>
Subject: Lassen National Park Draft General Management Plan

As you and others may know, the Lassen National Park has released a Draft
General Management Plan.  While it does not give any information about the
PCT and plans for it (apparently trails will be addressed in detail in a
subsequent Trails Plan) there may be some issues and needs that the PCTA
and trail users (hikers and equestrians) should ask the Park to address in
the General Management Plan.  There also may be some development,
restoration or zoning (they hope to increase the Wilderness zone by some
25,000 acres) for Park areas on or near the PCT that may directly or
indirectly affect the trail and trail users.

If you or others have any PCT issues, concerns or suggestions for the
approximately 17 miles of PCT within the Park, please pass them on to me
ASAP by phone (916-349-0941), email <trails@pcta.org> or writing me at the
PCTA office.

The plan is available online, downloadable as a PDF file and viewable with
Adobe Reader, at: http://www.nps.gov/lavo/gmppm.htm

Thank you.

Reuben Rajala
PCTA Trails Program Director

PS. For everyone's information, there were a great number of blowdown on a
6 mile section of PCT within the Park this year and last year, according to
trail users who contacted the PCTA.  After bringing it to the attention of
Park staff, their trail crews removed some 170 blowdown, some of which had
apparently been there for awhile.  This just reinforces the need for and
value of trail users letting us know of trail problems so we can alert land
managers.

___
Reuben Rajala, Trails Program Director
Pacific Crest Trail Association
5325 Elkhorn Blvd., PMB #256
Sacramento, CA 95842
Office (general) 916-349-2109
Office (direct) 916-349-0941
Fax: 916-349-1268
Work Email: <trails@pcta.org>

Visit the PCT sometime, as well as the PCTA's website!: http://www.pcta.org

"Positive turbulence changes our culture and our receptivity to new
ideas. " Ian Craig
____