RE: [pct-l] packs

Dave writes >> Just perused the Kelty website and noticed a new pack called
the Flight. It's
basically the same as the Cloud-it weighs 4 oz. more and costs $200 v.s.
$550
for the Cloud. Anybody got any info on this pack? <<

A couple of weekends ago, I was perusing at a local pack shop in Portland
and saw one of the Flight's there. I spent about a 45 minutes looking it
over and talking with the sales guy. My first take of it is extremely
positive. I'm not sure why I didn't walk out of the store with it.

It's extremely modular to the max. Everything, and I mean everything, can be
removed from the pack, except shoulder straps. This includes the tie on
straps, ice ax loops, side and top pockets, hip belt, etc. Fully configured
it holds some 4500 cubic inches. More than enough for most people.

I'm not sure what the fully configured pack weighs, but it felt very light.
Striping off the extras you can probably get the field configuration down to
under 2.5 lbs.

The materials and workmanship was first rate. It's made from coated Spectra
rip-stop. Although the seams aren't sealed. They use the same stays in the
back as the cloud and they are both strong and very light. The stitching is
clean and well done, with plenty of re-enforcement at all the right places.

Unlike some packs, there is not a lot of padding in the back. This will
require a little extra care when packing to insure you don't place gear that
will poke you in the back.

I didn't place a lot of weight in it so comfort was hard to tell. Although
the hip belt and suspension is first rate. It fit well and easily transfers
the weight off my shoulders. I'm going back soon with a bunch of gear to
test it out fully loaded.

This WILL be the next pack I'll purchase. I'm very glad to see Kelty coming
back as a major player in the pack market.

Ron "Fallingwater" Moak
PCT 2000 - http://www.fallingwater.com/pct2000