[pct-l] Raising money on a PCT-a-thon

>You are also exploiting the PCT trail for a
>non-related profit making venture -- funding for your
>non-profit. IMO such a commercial use of the PCT iswrong.
>
>John Mertes

This attitude rather surprised me.  I didn't realize anyone was
philosophically opposed to using a hike of the PCT as a kind of walk-a-thon
to raise money for a charitable organization.  I see also that "Katt" just
today (10/17) asked for people's opinions on this very subject.

I think I understand John's point, but I really can't believe that raising
money for an NPO is 'commerical' in the implied exploitative sense of the
term.  To the contrary, using one's hike seems to have a number of things to
its favor:
*  It does not destroy or degrade the trail in any way I can perceive,
certainly not in any material way;
*  It could increase awareness of the PCT in a positive way.  Anywhere from
dozens to hundreds of people may learn of the trail's existence for the
first time, and some of these people may become eventual users and
supporters of it;
*  It enables the fundraising hiker to accomplish something beneficial to
other people during the period of four or five months when they're
essentially isolated from society at large.

About the only objection I have is to soliciting funds from the people one
meets during the hike, whether they be other trail-users or residents of
neighboring communities.  Asking them to support you in your cause seems to
violate the very non-mercantile air of camraderie which (at least) ought to
prevail among fellow hikers.  Naturally, people using their hike to raise
money for charity will want to mention their particular cause, but I believe
there's an appropriate and inappropiate way to do this.  THe wrong way would
be to say something like, "I'm hiking the PCT to raise money for the X
Foundation" -- implying that you're continuing to seek funds and, say,
couldn't you contribute a little...?  Better would be to explain that you've
got sponsors "back home", thereby giving the sense that the fund-raising
part is _over_ and now you're fulfilling your goal of completing the trail.
Then if somebody wants to give money, it's strictly voluntary; there isn't
any subtle expectation of it.  Heck, maybe even better than that would be
not to mention your cause at all unless you fall into a long conversation
with someone.

Richard Winterstein